I had the pleasure of attending a presentation by Yoshinori Matsunobu at the NYC MySQL Meetup, and learning about the MyRocks engine optimized for space and writes.
- What a bright group presenting tonight at the Congressional App Challenge hosted at Centennial Campus by Rep. David Price. I enjoyed serving the community by judging the apps and look forward to seeing what these young people come up with in the years ahead.
- An old Girl Scout favorite, TechnoQuest was held at Meredith College in Raleigh. We joined for the first time this year; the younger one participated in day-long STEM activities – primarily chemistry and physics – while I attended seminars in community-building, nurturing confidence in youth, and leading science explorations.
It’s been a busy month for file vulnerabilities. Thanks to Dawid Golunski at legalhackers.com for giving us all the opportunity to tighten security in our MySQL, MariaDB, and Percona Server instances.
- All Things Open 2016 presentation on Data Encryption at Rest in MySQL and MariaDB, Raleigh, North Carolina. All Things Open 2016, Data Encryption at Rest in MySQL and MariaDB from Data In Data Out on Vimeo.
- Disk space issues are common, and they’re often difficult to solve quickly. One way to recover some space is by enabling InnoDB compression. First, of course, you want to make sure you’ve covered alternative solutions. Can you archive data? Do partitioning/sharding? These generally involve application changes and can take longer. You may need to first do conversion to InnoDB. While compression is available for MyISAM via myisampack, and this can be useful for some use cases (for example, if you are rotating out tables on a monthly basis), it makes the tables read-only, so generally you will want to first convert MyISAM tables to InnoDB.
- The pt-online-schema-change tool has been a workhorse for years, allowing MySQL DBAs to alter tables with minimal impact to application workload, and before MySQL had native online alter capabilities. Although consistently grateful for the tool’s existence, I never liked the messiness of having to use and clean up triggers, and most DBAs have a horror story or two to tell about using online alters. When Github’s online schema transmogrifer, or gh-ost was released, then, I jumped on the chance to test it out.
I finished the 4-day Linux Foundation course LFS252 Essentials of OpenStack Administration this week.
- Should you look aisle-by-aisle in the store to find an item, or ask for help? Depends. Use the extendable Happy Hardware tool to help you choose.