I keep finding new chances to use gh-ost online schema change tool, and thinking I might find a case it won’t work. Today I tested it on a TokuDB setup. Worked fine. This makes for an uninteresting (but satisfying) blog post. “Tried new gh-ost scenario; worked fine.”
- The pt-online-schema-change tool has been a workhorse for years, allowing MySQL DBAs to alter tables with minimal impact to application workload, and before MySQL had native online alter capabilities. Although consistently grateful for the tool’s existence, I never liked the messiness of having to use and clean up triggers, and most DBAs have a horror story or two to tell about using online alters. When Github’s online schema transmogrifer, or gh-ost was released, then, I jumped on the chance to test it out.
I needed a quick-and-dirty table of random data yesterday, and threw together these sql statements to achieve that.
- I really like the MySQL Memory Calculator, mostly because the person at the top of the page just seems so darn happy. But I’m also tired of filling out the form, so I created a little program in Go (also my first Go program) to do the memory calculations for me. I named this vgMemory and put it in my visegrip box.
One of my favorite tools for query optimization is profiling. But recently I noticed this warning: